- 1 Introduction
- 2 Bariatric Shower Chair Comparison and Reviews Available
- 3 1. Medline Bariatric Bath Chair Supports up to 500 lbs
- 4 2. AquaSense Adjustable Bariatric Bath Bench
- 5 3. Vive Shower Chair with Back
- 6 4. OasisSpace Heavy Duty Shower Chair with Back
- 7 5. Tub and Shower Chair with Removable Back Rest
- 8 6. Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Plastic Seat
- 9 7. Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench
- 10 8. Drive Medical Bathroom Safety Shower Tub Bench
- 11 9. Medical Tool-Free Assembly Spa Bathtub Adjustable Shower Chair Seat Bench
- 12 10. Medline Shower Chair Bath Seat
- 13 Tips for choosing the best bariatric shower chair
- 14 Weight capacity
- 15 Construction materials
- 16 Casters or no casters
- 17 Size
- 18 Other features
- 19 Frequently Asked Questions
- 20 Conclusion
Bathing is a daily routine and a necessary part of everyone’s life. While most people enjoy bathing, it tends to be difficult and dangerous for people with limited mobility. Whether, it is because of old age, disability, surgery, or injury, assistance must be granted to such people while bathing to ensure that they are safe in the bathroom. As such, choosing the best bariatric shower chair must come in handy to ensure that your loved one is safe and comfortable while taking a shower. To help you in this task, we have narrowed our choices to 10 shower chairs that will not let you down when taking a shower. Read on as you look forward to making a worthwhile purchase.
Bariatric Shower Chair Comparison and Reviews Available
1. Medline Bariatric Bath Chair Supports up to 500 lbs
Starting our review is the Medline Bariatric Bath Chair. This is a heavy-duty shower chair that doesn’t include a back. The chair features a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame. This material makes it easy to maneuver while it enables it to deliver years of reliable performance. On top of that, it features angled legs. Its legs can distribute weight over a large area which makes it secure to use.
You can buy the chair for use by individuals with a weight of up to 550lbs. Furthermore, the chair supports people of different heights since its height adjusts from 14″ to 17″. The chair includes non-slip, rubber feet on all four legs. As such, it can provide extra safety and stability when used on a slippery floor. What’s more, is that it doesn’t include a back. As a result, it ensures easy access to the chair and simple maneuverability of the chair.
- Sturdy shower bench.
- Easy to put together.
- Comfortable to use.
- Height adjusts easily.
- Easy to move and it doesn’t take up a lot of floor space.
- Handles are not positioned in the best means since leaning on one handle can make the seat to flip.
- Rising from the seat can be challenging due to the low seat height even on the highest level.
2. AquaSense Adjustable Bariatric Bath Bench
Are you a heavy individual who needs to sit while taking a shower? Well, this is one of the best Bariatric shower chairs. This chair features a heavy-duty anodized rust-resistant aluminum frame. This design enables it to support a weight of up to 700lbs. Adding to that it features a comfortable backrest and large drainage holes. This makes the chair a perfect choice to one that is designed to ensure added comfort and stability.
The bariatric bath bench offers five levels of height adjustments where you can adjust it from 16.2” to 20.2”. As a result, it is perfect for use by people of different heights and use in different situations. What’s more, it includes large non-slip rubber safety tips. Because of this, it is safe to use on a slippery floor. The bench is easy to assemble since it doesn’t require any tools during assembly.
- Easy to assemble.
- Holds up to 700lbs.
- Sturdy and well made.
- Adjustable legs are easy to adjust.
- The seat is quite slippery.
- The seat is a bit hard.
3. Vive Shower Chair with Back
Feel secure and comfortable while showering once you sit on the Vive Shower Chair. The chair features an extra wide seat. This seat allows it to support up to 300pound. Also, it includes padded handles. Because of these, you can benefit from a comfortable grip without the risk of slipping.
The chair includes rubber no-slip anti-skid tips on each leg. As a result, it is a perfect choice for a safe and secure shower chair. What’s more, it includes a backrest constructed using lightly-textured composite materials. These materials enhance contoured support to guarantee comfort in all instances.
Vive Shower Chair is suitable for use with people of different heights, thanks to the adjustable seat height. Also, it suitable for use on uneven flooring due to the adjustable height that ranges from 14″ to 19.5″. The chair is made using corrosion resistant aluminum frame making it a perfect choice for a lightweight and durable bariatric shower chair.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- The height adjusts with a lot of ease.
- The backrest is removable which lets you customize it based on your needs.
- Drainage holes help to reduce slipping and sliding on pooled water.
- Shower chair requires tool-free assembly and disassembly.
- Screws become loss easily.
- The drawing on the user manual is very small.
4. OasisSpace Heavy Duty Shower Chair with Back
An essential bariatric shower chair for those with difficulty while standing for extended periods is the OasisSpace Heavy Duty Shower Chair. This is an FDA-cleared seat which means that you can get it with an assurance of safety. Adding to that it is constructed using angled legs. Because of this, you can expect the chair to offer exceptional stability further assuring you of safety.
Adding to the safety feature are the anti-skid, non-slip rubber tips on each leg. These prevent the chair from slipping on the slippery floor which makes it safe to sit on. Besides that, the chair includes a contoured seat and backrest. These are padded using a waterproof foam designed to ensure exceptional comfort.
The chair is constructed using a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame. The frame guarantees durability and lightweight design at the same time. Adding to that, the seat features drainage holes. These holes enable the water to drain away which means that you can sit on a safe and comfortable shower seat.
The seat supports up to 300 pounds. Its height is adjustable from 16″ to 21″. This allows you to get it for use with different people, and better yet, use it on uneven floor with an assurance of safety. The chair doesn’t require tools during the assembly process which makes it perfect for fast set-up processes.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Supports up to 300 pounds.
- Seat adjusts easily which makes it suitable for the disabled, elderly, or pregnant women.
- Removable back support allows you to customize it depending on your needs.
- Seat requires some force to assemble.
- Hand rails are mot adjustable.
- The chair makes some squeaky sound.
5. Tub and Shower Chair with Removable Back Rest
Enjoy your showers in complete safety and comfort once you get the Tub and Shower Chair. This chair is constructed using a rust-resistant aluminum frame that is not only durable but also lightweight. It features slip-resistant rubber tips which assure you of safety and security while showering.
The chair features an adjustable height where you can adjust it from 16″ to 20″ in 1″ increments. It weighs 13 pounds and supports up to 350 pounds making it a perfect choice to a lightweight and strong bariatric shower chair. The chair doesn’t need tools during assembly but comes with detailed instructions that make it easy to set up.
- Textured non-slip surfaces guarantees comfort and safety.
- Drain holes on the seat protect against water build-up.
- Removable backrest provides additional support.
- Adjustable height makes it perfect for use on uneven floors and with people with different heights.
- Base legs aren’t so wide.
- Handles don’t fold down.
6. Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Plastic Seat
Is versatility a primary concern while shopping for the best bariatric shower chair? If yes, I would like to recommend the Drive Medical Bariatric Plastic Seat. This seat fits any bathroom due to the reversible design and extension legs. Further, it holds people of up to 500 pounds which makes it suitable for use by different individuals.
The seat’s extension legs’ height adjusts in 1/2″ increments allowing you to customize it based on the user’s height. It features a sturdy “A” frame construction and blow-molded plastic bench to guarantee durability. The seat doesn’t require tools during assembly which makes it easy to set up. Its floor height ranges from 18.5″ to 23.5″ while the seat measures 26.5″W x x16.5″D.
- Easy to assemble.
- Sturdy and safe.
- Easy to carry.
- Screws become loose after some time.
7. Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench
Want to improve your stability and safety in the shower? Well, the Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench is here to help. The bench can hold people with a weight capacity of up to 300pounds due to its durable construction. It includes anti-slip suction cup feet that secure it to the floor to protect it from sliding.
The seat features a strong anodized aluminum frame to enhance durability. Further, it features a reversible backrest. This backrest allows it to fit in right or left-side tubs which allows you to use it in different bathrooms. The shower seat is safe to use thanks to the Microban antimicrobial protection technique. This technique protects against the uncontrolled growth of mold, bacteria, and mildew which makes it safe to use.
Also, the seat is comfortable to use. The reason is the textured molded backrest and the seating surface that offers a comfortable sitting experience. Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench includes holes on the seating area to ensure perfect water drainage. Also, there side arms on the bench so that you can benefit from stability when using it.
- Easy to assemble.
- Adjustable legs enable the bench to accommodate different tub heights.
- Not suitable for tubs with glass doors.
8. Drive Medical Bathroom Safety Shower Tub Bench
Make showering easier with the Drive Medical Bathroom Shower Tub Bench. The bench features an aluminum frame that is not only lightweight but also durable. Its legs are adjustable which makes it suitable for use with people of different heights and bathrooms that feature uneven floors.
You can get the shower bench when looking for the best bariatric shower chair that is easy to assemble since it doesnt require tools during assembly. Also, the bench is a perfect choice for one that is safe to use since it features angled legs with suction style tips to ensure additional stability.
- The corrosion-proof frame ensures long-lasting performance.
- Seat holds a user weighing up to 400lbs.
- Adjustable legs allow for a set to floor height ranging from 15.5″ to 19.5″.
- The drainage holes on the seat protect it from flooding.
- The feet aren’t leveled perfectly so the chair wobbles.
- Seat is slippery.
9. Medical Tool-Free Assembly Spa Bathtub Adjustable Shower Chair Seat Bench
Are you an individual who can’t stand for long? Whether it is due to injury, surgery, or old age, you can benefit from a relaxing shower experience without the risk of falling once you get the Vaunn Medical Tool-Free Shower Chair. This chair features a heavy-duty anodized aluminum frame. The frame is lightweight and durable which makes it easy to carry and able to deliver a reliable experience during the long-run.
Also, it includes unique angled feet that feature non-skid rubber tips. These angled feet enable the user’s weight to be distributed over a large area while the non-skid rubber tips protect it from sliding on the slippery floor.
You can get the seat as the answer to a shower chair that is comfortable to use due to the high-density, anti-bacterial polyethylene seat. The seat includes unique drainage holes which prevent the water from flooding to guarantee comfortable user experience.
Vaunn Medical Tool-Free Shower Chair includes removable back support enabling you to customize it based on your needs. Also, its legs feature an adjustable height which means that it is suitable for use with people of different heights. The chair weighs 4lbs without the back support and 6lbs with the back support. Although the chair features a lightweight design, it holds a user of up to 300lbs making it suitable for use with a range of persons.
- Built-in side handles make it easy to lift the chair.
- The chair is easy to assemble and doesn’t require tools during the process.
- Rust-resistant frame guarantees durability.
- Scoop-shape of the seat makes it a little uncomfortable.
- Some packages come with missing screws.
10. Medline Shower Chair Bath Seat
Need additional support while showering? Well, you can get that once you add the Medline Shower Chair in your bathroom. The chair includes height-adjustable legs. The height is easily adjustable with push buttons enabling you to use it with users of different height. Adding to that, the chair features non-slip rubber feet. This design protects from slipping on the shower floor assuring you of safety while using the chair.
Medline Shower Chair is easy to assemble since it doesn’t call for tools during the process. Also, it suitable for use with the elderly since it features a backrest designed to offer extra comfort and support. The padded armrests are another addition to help provide support and reduce chances of slipping. Plus, the chair features an aluminum frame designed to enhance durability and lightweight design.
- Instructions manual makes the chair easy to assemble.
- The chair is easy to clean.
- It supports up to 350 lbs.
- Latex-free materials enhance safety.
- Seat height adjusts from 16″ to 21″.
- Instructions tend to be confusing.
Tips for choosing the best bariatric shower chair
Bath chairs are available in different weight capacities, where most of them hold users from a weight of 250lbs to700lbs. Therefore, you will want a shower seat that will hold you comfortably without risking its construction. In this regard, opt for a bariatric shower chair that holds users with a higher weight than that of yours. For instance, you can pick a chair that carries a weight of up to 700lbs if you are 500lbs or 500lbs if you are 300lbs. That way, you can be sure not to break the chair when taking a bath.
Related Article: Self Propelled Wheelchair Reviews
Construction materials determine several factors including portability, durability, ease of cleaning, and aesthetics. In most cases, shower chairs feature aluminum or plastic materials. While both are portable due to the lightweight materials, aluminum tends to be at a higher price range while compared to plastic. However, aluminum has a longer life while compared to plastic. In terms of aesthetics, both materials are stylish when added to modern decors, but the choice you make is a personal preference based on your decor design.
Casters or no casters
Do you want to get a portable chair or a fixed one? The answer to this question depends on the user of the chair. If the user cannot move at all, a bariatric shower chair that features casters is a great choice since this makes it easy for you to carry the user from the bathroom to the changing room. On the other hand, if the user can move, you can opt to get a chair that includes casters or one that doesn’t include them based on your preference. If you opt for a seat that includes wheels, ensure that they are locking casters to ensure safety.
Different bariatric shower chairs users have different-sized bathrooms. For this reason, shower chairs come in a range of options all of them requiring different floor space. To ensure that you maximize your bathroom’s space, be sure to pick a chair that will fit into the bathroom without cluttering the available space. On top of that, if you have a small space, a chair that is easy to disassemble for storage will make a great pick making it easy for you to store it compactly.
Apart from the discussed features, there are other factors to consider so that you can buy the best bariatric shower chair. Such features include:
- Arms or no arms- So, should you get a chair that features arms or one that excludes them. This is a matter of personal preference and the condition of the user. If the user has complete limitation to mobility, then a chair with arms is preferable to ensure added support. When picking a shower chair that includes arms, go for non-slip arms to ensure safety.
- Backrest or no backrest- Some users prefer a stool-style shower chair while others prefer a bench-style shower chair. So, can the user of the chair support him/herself without requiring a backrest? If the user can’t support herself, then opt for one that features a backrest to ensure comfort, safety, and support.
- Seat’s dimension- Besides the backrest, you will want to pay attention to the dimensions of the chair while picking one. In this regard, consider the size of the user who will be sitting on the chair and be sure to pick a shower chair that offers enough space to ensure user comfort.
- Adjustable vs. fixed height- Although shower chairs that feature adjustable legs are pricier than those with fixed ones, I would recommend that you opt for ones that include adjustable legs. The reason behind this is that such a chair accommodates users of different heights with an assurance of comfort. In addition to that, chairs that include adjustable legs allow you to use them while two of the legs are in the tub and the rest on the floor since you can adjust the height to ensure that the chair is balanced.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Who should use shower chairs?
Answer: Shower chairs are designed to be used by any person with limited mobility. This can be an elderly, injured or disabled who needs some support while bathing.
Question: How should I disinfect my shower chair?
Answer: Cleaning your shower chair is the perfect answer to protecting it from bacteria, mold, and mildew. In this regard, clean the seat at least two times in a month depending on the frequency of use. Use a scrub brush and ensure that you clean between hard-to-reach areas and the small spaces.
Question:What should I consider so that I can get a shower chair that is safe to use?
Answer: Start with getting a chair that includes non-slip rubber feet to prevent it from sliding. Also, opt for one that provides for non-slip arms or a non-slip seat.
Choosing the best bariatric shower chair can help you to protect your loved ones from life-threatening injuries because of falls in the bathroom. So, if you have a friend or relative who can’t stand on a shower for long because of decreased leg strength, be sure to recommend to them these products and play a part in ensuring that they are safe when taking a bath.
Best Deals For This Week
|1||Drive Medical Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest (color may vary)||3,486 Reviews||$55.88||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Drive Medical Bariatric Heavy Duty Bath Bench||353 Reviews||$57.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Medline Heavy Duty Shower Chair Bath Bench Without Back, Bariatric Bath Chair Supportsup to 550 Lbs||711 Reviews||$49.99||Buy on Amazon|