There are several factors that influence the exact amount of calories you can burn on an elliptical. Your weight, body composition, the intensity of the workout, and the duration affect your caloric burn. There are many benefits to using an elliptical. What you need to know is that elliptical machines are a great way to burn calories. If weight loss is your goal, then elliptical workouts are the answer. So, how many calories can you burn on an elliptical? Read on to find out.
Burning calories is an essential part of losing weight. Burning calories is also the most difficult part. Cardiovascular exercise is the best type for burning calories. An elevated heart rate over an extended period of time is a cardiovascular workout. Many believe that ellipticals do not achieve this. Using an elliptical to burn calories is a great idea. When used properly and efficiently, ellipticals can burn significant calories. You will get the elevated heart rate and caloric burn you desire.
Calories and Weight Gain
The more calories you eat, the more weight you can gain. A calorie is a unit of measure for the energy given off by a food. When this energy is not used, it is stored as fat. Not using calories over a long time results in weight gain. The more weight you gain, the more calories you need to burn to lose the fat. How many calories you can burn on an elliptical will be related to how much weight you want to lose.
Your metabolism is the process by which your body converts food to energy. It dictates how many calories are burned. Your metabolism consists of four key factors.
- BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the minimum number of calories needed to sustain daily life.
- RMR (resting metabolic rate) is the rate at which your body uses energy at rest
- Thermogenesis is the digestive process that uses energy
- Physical activity boosts your metabolism by increasing the need for energy
The Benefits of an Elliptical
Exercise affects metabolism which affects the amount of calories you burn during exercise. Ellipticals provide specific benefits for those looking to burn maximum calories.
- Ellipticals are low impact, so you can work out for longer without causing strain
- All major muscle groups are worked, which requires more energy and more calories
- The top and bottom of your body get exercise at the same time, maximizing caloric burn
Factors Affecting Caloric Burn
The number of calories burned on an elliptical will depend on several factors.
- Weight: heavier bodies burn more calories
- Body composition: Higher muscle mass means more calories burned
- Duration: longer workouts burn more calories
- Intensity: greater resistance increases heart rate and caloric burn
- Gender: men are typically heavier and have more muscles which leads to more caloric burn
Calories Burned on Ellipticals
Each person’s body is unique so there is no way to calculate the exact calories a person can burn. The factors above all affect total caloric burn. Each individual also sheds weight in a different way. On average, the body burns 2.16 calories for every pound of weight. This can be used to estimate the calories burned on an elliptical. To find out how many calories you burn on an elliptical, you can use the estimates below.
When using an elliptical for 30 minutes:
- 120-pound woman can burn between 250 and 310 calories
- 150-pound woman will burn up to 400 calories
- 180-pound man can burn between 375 and 500 calories
- 200-pound man can burn up to 550 calories.
When using an elliptical for an hour:
- 120-pound woman can burn between 450 and 600 calories
- 150-pound woman will burn up to 800 calories
- 180-pound man can burn between 750 and 950 calories
- 200-pound man can burn up to 1000 calories.
The more intense your workout is, the more calories you will burn on an elliptical. How many calories you can burn on an elliptical will depend on the intensity level. High-intensity sessions are the best way to burn fat. Even better is interval training. High-intensity bursts with segments of lighter intensity in between. Some times lower intensity workouts are better. If you have a health condition or injury that limits you, going a little slower is safer. You can still benefit from the calorie burn without risk of hurting yourself.
How to Burn More Calories
How many calories can you burn on an elliptical? When you have the best elliptical, burning calories is easy. To make the most of your elliptical workouts and burn the most calories, try the following:
- Change the motion: You can vary the lengths of your strides or go in reverse.
- Try new programs: some newer machines offer programs that will change intensity at random for you.
- Increase resistance: more resistance works your muscles harder and uses more energy.
- Push yourself: Keep track of your progress and set a more challenging goal each time.
- Watch your heart rate: Heart rate is a good indicator of energy you are burning. A faster heart rate means you burn more calories.
- Use your legs: The larger muscles in the legs use more energy to move. Put your legs into each movement to burn more calories.
- Listen to music: Play upbeat music as you exercise. It diverts your attention and helps you keep a good workout pace.
Ellipticals are a great way to burn calories and lose weight. As part of a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet, elliptical machines support weight loss. If you want to know how many calories you burn on an elliptical, go get yourself one and find out.
Best Elliptical Under 1000