Distilled water is water that has been boiled to remove impurities. This means that the water is very pure and safe for drinking. The good thing about distilling water is that you don’t need expensive processes or chemicals to get pure water and it is actually the cheapest and easiest way of getting clean water. However, how long do you have to boil water to distill it? This is the most important questions you should ask yourself because not all boiled water is pure. Check out this article to learn more about this and how to distill water effectively.
Is distilled Water Safe for Drinking?
Distilled water is very safe for drinking. It is true that distillation helps to remove harmful water contaminants but it also removes important minerals such as calcium and magnesium from water. This is very dangerous since it can lead to electrolyte imbalance as well as metabolic imbalance. Additionally, distilled water is likely to absorb different contaminants from the environment. If you prefer drinking distilled water, you should always ensure that it is packaged in a BPA-free plastic or container. Other things you should consider before you consume distilled water include;
- The source- You need to ensure that the water comes from a drinkable source. Make sure that the source of the water is free from industrial chemicals or other harmful substances that can cause serious health problems.
- Your tap water condition- The other important thing you need to check is the condition of the water that comes out from your tap. You can get this information from your local water department. You should ensure that the purification method you are using can handle the challenges of your water supply.
- Invest in a water purifier- The surest way of ensuring that the water you are drinking is pure is when it is passed through a reliable water purifier. The good thing about these purifiers is that they pass water through various stages to remove all the contaminants.
How to Distill Water
When distilling water, you should follow these steps;
- Fill a large pot with water.
- Set a collection bowl inside the pot. This will allow you to collect the water that drips from the lid. Ensure that you have picked the correct bowl size to ensure that the water doesn’t drip back into the main pot.
- Place the lid of the pot upside down on your pot. When heating the water will rise up and will then condense into droplets which will fall back into the bowl.
- Turn the heat on until the water gets very hot. You can place ice cubes on the lid to help the steam to condense and turn into liquid water.
- Once the process is complete, switch off the heat and then remove the bowl that contains distilled water.
What are the Benefits of Distilled Water?
Some of the major benefits of distilled water include;
- Helps to cleanse the body- Distilled water helps to cleanse your body and it also improves the functions of the kidneys.
- Minimizes risks of bacteria- Another benefit of distilled water is that it helps to remove harmful bacteria and viruses that might be present in the water. This means that drinking distilled water may reduce risks of illness.
- Removes harmful chemicals- The water that gets into your home may have harmful chemicals and the easiest way to remove these chemicals is through boiling.
- Enhances the taste of the water-Again, distilled water lacks chlorine which means that it has better taste than tap water.
- Cheap and effective- If you don’t have funds to buy a water purifier, distilled water will be a great alternative since you only need to boil water. This process should take at least 45 minutes. Also you can use a water distiller machine for fast and easiest way to distilled water.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long do you have o boil water to distill it?
The process of distilling water may seem simple but it requires some patience. It should take roughly 45 minutes although it depends with the amount of water you want to distill. If you use water distiller then it’s depends to distiller capacity and type of water distiller.
Which is better between distilled and purified water?
Both methods are highly effective in providing clean water but purified water still contains important minerals which are not found in distilled water. Again, the purification process requires a lot of time and energy and may not be friendly to the environment. If you want clean water for drinking, distilled water will be great but if you want water that is healthier, then purified water will be the best.
What is the difference between distilled and filtered water?
The major difference between the two is that distilled water doesn’t have mineral contents. On the other hand, filtering water helps to remove microbes but important minerals are maintained.
Can you drink distilled water?
Distilled water is very safe for drinking. However, you need to eat a balanced diet to ensure that your body gets all the nutrients. This is because distilled water doesn’t have important minerals such as calcium.
Distilled water is very safe for drinking although the process also removes important minerals such as calcium and magnesium from the water. However, distilled water has a better taste than tap water and it helps to cleanse your body. How long do you have to boil water to distill it? The distillation process depends on the amount of water you want to distill. If you want to distill a lot of water, the process will take long and vice versa. On average, it should take about 45 minutes.