Are you one of those who think nature cannot produce dangerous materials and everything natural is beneficial? Do you realize that some natural materials can be hazardous and harmful to human health? Unfortunately, a vast majority believes that natural materials do not have any disadvantages and are safe for human health. Many people prefer taking natural substances for healing when it comes to medication, as they think they are healthier than unnatural and synthetic drugs. Contrary to popular belief, not every natural element is safe, and some can even turn out to be deadly.
Nature has healing power, and it aids the human body’s inherent ability to heal. Numerous natural elements have also proven to be beneficial in several medical issues. On the contrary, experts have regarded several of them as harmful to our health. They advise people to exercise caution while working with and using these materials. Some natural materials may have a mild negative effect, but several materials can be hazardous. Constant exposure to those elements without preventive measures can become a cause of life-threatening diseases. Many people in ignorance work with these harmful substances; some consume them and, as a result, suffer from serious ailments.
Below we are listing some of the natural materials that can be harmful to health:
Asbestos is a natural group of fibrous minerals which manufacturers use to strengthen and make materials fireproof. It is an integral component of the automobile and construction sectors’ products. People who work with asbestos often end up inhaling a substantial amount of asbestos, and that can lead to severe diseases. It can cause a rare form of incurable cancer, mesothelioma. Asbestos is undissolvable, resists fire and heat, and even chemical procedures cannot break it down. Since mesothelioma is not curable, people who suffer from it can file legal cases against their employers. Experienced and competent lawyers can handle an asbestos mesothelioma lawsuit well and help people in winning the case.
Ephedra is an evergreen shrub, and its branches are often used in making medicines. In older days, people used to consumer ephedra to cure fever, cold and other conditions; however, its supplements are banned today. Ephedra can cause an escalation of heartbeat, nausea, vomiting, and high blood pressure. Ephedra contains ephedrine which stimulates heartbeat, nervous system, and lungs. Using ephedra with other caffeine substances can have life-threatening effects.
Another naturally occurring chemical, mercury, is highly toxic and poisonous. The natural element can damage the nervous system and can be harmful to the kidneys. Generally, you might see its usage in batteries, thermometers, barometers, fluorescent lights, or felt production. People need to handle it carefully to avoid breaking it and releasing mercury into the air. Inhalation of mercury vapors can lead to severe conditions. Pregnant women must take special care as consuming fish leads to a baby’s exposure to methylmercury, a mercury form. It can be deteriorating for the baby’s health.
Arsenic is a carcinogen and another natural element that can be harmful to health. Many edibles contain organic and inorganic arsenic, and consumption of the latter can lead to several health issues. In some countries, groundwater contains arsenic. It is one of the significant reasons for deteriorating health conditions and deaths, especially in developing countries. Initial symptoms of arsenic poisoning are headache and hair loss. In severe cases, people can die or go into a coma. Avoiding or limiting food items containing arsenic is necessary for our wellbeing.
Another known carcinogen, formaldehyde, is a skin irritant and can cause allergy-like reactions. Health experts have said that long-term exposure to formaldehyde of low levels in the air can result in asthma, dermatitis, or itching. The material’s usage is quite common, and people can find it in several household items. Allergic skin rashes can occur in people working with formaldehyde products. Low exposure to this harmful natural material can cause mild illness, but regular appropriate treatment can result in full recovery. However, if someone inhales highly elevated concentrations of formaldehyde, their condition may deteriorate.
Chlorine is a natural material that suppresses bacterial growth in water. People use it to disinfect pools and drinking water and sanitize industrial waste and sewage. When people swallow, inhale or touch chlorine, chlorine poisoning can occur. Burning in the mouth, swelling of the throat, vomiting, stomach and throat pains are a few symptoms of chlorine poisoning. Its exposure can hurt the circulatory system. People can experience changes in the pH balance of blood and low blood pressure. Skin damage, blurry vision, and even vision loss are some of the other harmful effects of high concentration chlorine exposure.
For many people, nature is synonymous with safe and they cannot imagine that natural materials can be harmful. Many marketers market their product with the label ‘all-natural,’ which indicates that all human-made things are toxic, whereas nature’s offerings benefit. The truth is many natural materials can be hazardous to health and require people to exercise caution while coming in contact with them. For instance, even some mushrooms can cause turn out to be poisonous. It is not entirely possible to avoid harmful materials. Still, one can exercise preventive measures and take care of their health while using toxic natural substances.
Leave a Reply